This week we talk with Shade Whitesel. Shade has the exceptional qualification of being one of the only trainers out there training and competing successfully in the sport at high levels and with excellent scores, all without using physical corrections! She has a creative, yet practical, approach to training, always keeping in mind what’s best for the dog and for the relationship.
We talked about:
- The challenges of training a traditional sport like Schutzhund/IPO
- How our mindsets have shifted into being more comfortable with mistakes (in dog training).
- The difference between a dog who’s frozen in confusion and one who is simply responding to a different cue than the one you thought you had trained.
- What exactly Shade means when she talks about “toy play”.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Shade’s website
- Shade’s online classes at Fenzi Dog Sports Academy
- Shade’s YouTube channel (check it out for some awesome training videos!)
- IPO stands for: Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung (German!)